Friday, October 17, 2008

Last Semester's ceramic work

This is my artist statement from last semester and the images of the work:


With the two pieces I have created I am illustrating the five shoulder surgeries I have had. These pieces also illustrate the chronic pain I have endured through them all and even the limitations they have created on my life.
The first piece is and exaggerated medical model of my shoulder that appears almost bionic. There are screws and wire appearing to hold the shoulder together, an exaggeration of the current status of my shoulder. This is concealed by a representation of the exterior of my shoulder and its eleven scars. The shoulder casing is connected to a pulley system allowing the viewer to reveal the bionic shoulder encased underneath. The counterweight is a representation of a twenty-five pound dumb bell, signifying how I am no longer able to lift anything heaver then that. This piece puts the viewer in the position of the doctors and forces him or her to expose the pain and damage done underneath.
The second piece is a magnified view of a synapse. These are located at the ends of one’s nerves. They send neurotransmitters, pain signals, to the rest of one’s body. Replacing the neurotransmitters are pain pills marked with the doctors names on them who performed my surgeries. These doctors and pills are supposed to help people with pain but in some cases they fall short, thus, leaving certain individuals in a state of chronic pain. This is illustrated through the pills being piled up and never making it to the dendrite of the synapse signifying an incomplete cycle.






This with it closed. It is hard to see but there are 11 scars on the right side to mimic the ones I have.






After opening you can see the shoulder model.







This is a bad image but you can see how it is opened.






The pills are relatively close to actual pill size and each one had one of the doctors names on them.

No comments: